A page consists of a searchable title and content. Content may include: paragraphs, images, links, videos, etc.
In our ProudCity demo site, we created a Parks facilities & locations example page. The example page is part of the Parks and Recreation department, to learn how to first create a department template please read the article, “How to create a department using your ProudCity powered government website”.
- Go to the dashboard
- On the dashboard click on the ‘Pages’ icon or the ‘Pages’ label on the left navigation bar
- Click ‘Add new’
- Add page title
- In the ‘Add to menu’ section, click on the drop down icon
- Select the menu, the page should fall under
- In many cases the page being created is a sub-page to a department template. For example, when creating a page titled Administration resources, this page will fall under the Administration department.
- Add a label title
- Fill in the ‘Label’ field in the ‘Add to menu’ section. Use the page title as the label name.
- If the page title is very long use an abbreviation. For example, a page title of Freedom of Information Law Request could have a label of FOIL Request.
- Add content using the visual editor
- The visual editor is your standard WYSIWYG editor and the simplest editor for just adding content to a page.
- A quick detailed guide on how to structure content
- Or add content using Pagebuilder, a more advanced editor that allows you to add widgets and elements to a page.
- To enable page builder click on the ‘Page builder’ tab.
- Click add widget
- Select ‘Page title’ to display the page title at the top of the page.
- Select add widget
- Select text
- Edit the text widget to get your WYSIWYG editor options to format your content.
- Once formatted click done.
- Add meta description and keyphrase by scrolling down and clicking on the ‘Yoast SEO’ tab
- Add focus keyphrase in the empty field titled ‘Focus keywords’ underneath the SEO, Readability, Social tabs.
- Include the keywords the page is targeting.
- Click edit snippet to add meta description.
- Write Meta description in the empty field under ‘Meta description’.
- Close snippet editor
- Click ‘Publish’
- Click ‘View Page’ on the top admin bar or the permalink to view page.
- If you are on the published page and want to go back into the page admin functionality click on ‘Edit page’ on the top admin bar.
- Done, you created a page!
Do’s and don’ts
- Add an engaging and searchable title.
- Write menu label titles as the page title or an abbreviated version.
- Include page title widget to display page title on the webpage if you’re using the page-builder editor.
- Pay attention to page structure using correct headings and formatting.
- Add a long menu label title.
- Leave alt text blank when adding images.
- Forget to include meta description.